2020-2021 Catalog Winter Update [Archived]

Registering and Dropping Courses

Registering for a Class

Admitted students enroll in courses by registering on the web or in person. If a student has not been admitted, they should complete an application to the college. Returning students who have not enrolled during the last two years are asked to submit a new application. 

All students enrolling at KVCC must have placement test scores on file, or have successfully completed college level English and math classes, in order to meet the minimum college level placement requirements enforced for most classes. Counselors are available to help students select their courses.

Degree seeking students attending college for the first time must participate in an orientation session. Please reference the New Student Orientation web page to find out the steps students need to take or call 269.488.4048 for more information.

General information on registration dates, times, policies, procedures, costs, and course offerings can be found on the registration web page. Students should register according to the published online instructions.

Students are responsible for checking the online schedules to determine specific and current dates for each enrollment period. Information published on the web is subject to change without notice, and these provisions are not an irrevocable contract between the student and the college.

Dropping a Class

Students may drop classes using the self-service feature inside MyValley. They may also drop in person in the Admissions, Registration and Records Office (room 9140) or at the Student Service Center in Anna Whitten Hall on the Arcadia Commons campus. The Refund and Withdrawal chart provides deadlines for registration, refunds and withdrawals.

If a student drops during the refund period, they will be issued a 100% refund and the course will not appear on their transcript. Students removing themselves from a class after the refund period are withdrawing and a "W" is recorded on the student's transcript. A withdrawal does not affect their KVCC grade point average. It is highly recommended that students consult with the instructor and a counselor before withdrawing from a class.

Discontinuing class attendance and/or notifying the instructor is not an official drop. A student must complete the paperwork or use the self-service feature. If a student fails to officially drop a course, registration is continued until the end of class and the grade earned is recorded on the student's transcript.

Dropping or withdrawing from classes may result in a loss or reduction in federal aid eligibility, which could result in an over payment owed to the college and/or the federal government. Students are required to repay over payment amounts in a timely manner.

International students should consult with the International Admissions office before dropping or withdrawing from a class. Dropping or withdrawing might jeopardize a student’s legal status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The telephone number for the Kalamazoo Valley USCIS Designated School Official is 269.488.4603. The e-mail address is international@kvcc.edu.