2020-2021 Catalog Winter Update [Archived]

General Transfer Program Information

Michigan Transfer Agreement

The following approved Kalamazoo Valley Community College (KVCC) courses have been identified as meeting the minimum requirements of the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement requirements students must successfully complete at a minimum 30 credits as delineated in each category, with at least a grade of 2.0 in each course.

Students can complete the MTA as part of an associate degree or to meet lower level general education requirements for transfer from one institution to another. Completion of the MTA does not mean a KVCC student has completed the requirements for a specific KVCC associate degree.

If a student transfers to KVCC, at least one college level credit-bearing course must be successfully completed at KVCC to meet residency requirements of the MTA. “MTA Satisfied” will be posted to a student’s transcript only when the minimum MTA requirements have been met and as requested.

Students pursuing an associate degree while satisfying the MTA may be interested in the Liberal Arts MTA associate of arts degree. More information may be found here.

Curriculum Guides

Transfer programs of study at Kalamazoo Valley are designed cooperatively between Kalamazoo Valley and four-year colleges and universities. It is the four-year colleges and universities that determine the transferability of Kalamazoo Valley courses to their institution. This information is gathered, maintained and continuously updated in the Kalamazoo Valley counseling office and is incorporated into appropriate transfer curriculum guides.

Curriculum guides provide students with an outline of the freshman and sophomore courses that are needed to fulfill the requirements for general education, majors, and university graduation. By closely following a transfer curriculum guide, it is possible to graduate from Kalamazoo Valley with an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree prior to transfer.

Transferability of Kalamazoo Valley Courses

Students must be aware that there is a limit to the number of credits that can be transferred from a two-year college and applied toward a baccalaureate degree. Generally, 62 transferable credits or half of the total number of credits required for the baccalaureate degree will be allowed.

The applicability of courses to the transfer program and the grades earned in courses taken are some of the factors in the transferability of credits. Generally, a minimum grade of 2.0 is required in each individual course in order to transfer the course. Also, admission to specific university programs may require an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher.

A student should consult with a Kalamazoo Valley counselor in order to verify course requirements for transfer. A student who plans to transfer to an out-of-state school is responsible for contacting the four-year school for transfer requirements.

Transfer Degree Requirements

Nearly all bachelor’s degree programs require certain general education courses as well as specific major or pre-major courses. These general education courses, available at Kalamazoo Valley, are grouped into the following areas: English/communication, humanities/fine arts, science/mathematics, political/social science, and wellness/physical education.

The type of degree program in which the student is enrolled determines the number of required courses in each general education area.

Within this catalog you will find samples of programs that include general education courses that transfer to various colleges and universities within Michigan. If you are interested in transferring but do not see a program that fits your interest area, be sure to see a Kalamazoo Valley counselor who can provide you with a transfer program of study. And if you know you want to transfer but are undecided about a special field of study, work with a counselor who will help you choose general education courses that will meet degree requirements.

Colleges and universities periodically change requirements to their programs. They reserve the right to make changes in transfer requirements without prior notification. However, the Kalamazoo Valley counselors are kept informed of these changes and can help you develop a program that is current for transfer. To be assured that courses will meet the requirements of the transfer institution, be sure to meet with a Kalamazoo Valley counselor. It is the responsibility of each student to verify transfer requirements with a Kalamazoo Valley counselor.

It is recommended that you to see a counselor regarding your program of study. Make an appointment by stopping at the Student Service Center on the Texas Township Campus (TTC) or at Anna Whitten Hall on the Arcadia Commons Campus (ACC) or by calling 269.488.4100 for TTC or 269.373.7834 for ACC or 269.548.3300 for Bronson Healthy Living Campus.