Catalog Winter Update

Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition Rates

Please note: Tuition and fees are subject to change by action of the Kalamazoo Valley Community College Board of Trustees.

Fall 2021 - Summer 2022 Tuition Rates Per Contact Hour

KVCC In-District $118.00
Michigan Out-of-District* $204.00
Out-of-State $273.00
International $309.00

* Out-of-District rate is the same as In-State rate

Non-refundable student fees and non-refundable usage fees:

  • Student fees (applicable to all students registering for courses):
    • $156.00 per semester
  • Usage fees (applicable only to those students using specific services/programs):
    • Repeat Course Fee

      A $200 per contact hour fee will be charged for students enrolling more than three times in the same course. If you wish to enroll in a course you have already taken at least three times, you must see a counselor for permission to register. Please call 269.488.4100 to schedule an appointment.

Books and supplies are additional out-of-pocket expenses. These expenses are not included with tuition charges. Our Financial Aid Department estimates books and supplies costs at $660per semester for a full-time student. The actual cost can vary based on a student's curriculum and course load.

Tuition due dates can be found at

Tuition and Fee Payment Info

Payment Process

After registering for classes, students can review account balances on their MyValley account by selecting Tuition Bill on the home page.

If you no longer have access to your MyValley account and need a tuition bill from a previous semester, complete the authorization for a Tuition Bill Release. The request form can be emailed, faxed, or mailed to the Pay Station with the information at the bottom of the form.

Methods of Payment:

  • Online
    • Credit/debit card
    • E-check
  • In person at the Pay Station - cash, check, money order, and credit/debit card



  • By Mail - check or money order
    • All checks and money orders should be made out to Kalamazoo Valley Community College. Please include your Valley number with your payment.
    • If you are paying by MESP account or you are receiving a scholarship, please send payments to the address below.
  • Payment Plans

Payment Mailing Address:

Kalamazoo Valley Community College

Attn: Pay Station

P.O. Box 4070

Kalamazoo, MI 49003-4070

If you have any further questions please contact the Pay Station at or 269/488/4292.

Financial Aid

Students are encouraged to apply for federal, state, and local sources of financial aid, including grants, scholarships, work-study, and loans. To determine financial aid eligibility, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The Kalamazoo Valley Community College Foundation also offers privately funded scholarships and awards through the college’s Financial Aid Office. These scholarships are funded by corporations, businesses, and private individuals for the benefit and support of Kalamazoo Valley students.

Financial aid advisors are available to provide additional information and assistance. Check the Kalamazoo Valley web page at and the Financial Aid Office for more information. Students should become familiar with the college’s My Valley system for access to their financial aid status. Appointments with a financial aid advisor can be made by contacting the Financial Aid Office at 269.488.4340 or online at

The Financial Aid Office is located in Room 9210 on the Texas Township Campus and Room 120 at the Arcadia Commons Campus. The telephone numbers are 269.488.4340 for the Texas Township Campus and 269.373.7800 for the Arcadia Commons Campus.

The Carl D. Perkins Special Populations Program provides financial aid assistance and academic support services to eligible students. The goal is to help students become financially self-supporting and personally independent. To be eligible, an applicant must meet the definition of a special population student. Members of special populations must be in an occupational program and fall into at least one of the following categories:

  • Individuals with a disability
  • Individuals from economically disadvantaged families, including foster children
  • Nontraditional training and employment participants
  • Single parents
  • Displaced homemakers
  • Individuals with limited English proficiency
  • Dependents of active military service members
  • Experienced foster care

Applicants with the greatest financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office are given priority. They could be eligible for tuition reimbursement through this program depending on the availability of funds. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 269.488.4340 for more information.

Veterans Benefits

Kalamazoo Valley has been recognized by the state of Michigan as an institution qualified and equipped to provide education at the collegiate level through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which offers educational assistance to eligible veterans, their dependents, and survivors.

Veterans may apply for VA benefits under Chapter 30 – Montgomery G.I. BillTM, Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 G.I. BillTM, Chapter 1606 – Selected Reserve, and Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans.

Kalamazoo Valley permits any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides Kalamazoo Valley with a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to education assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a "certificate of eligibility" can also include a "Statement of Benefits" obtained from the Department of Veteran Affairs' (VA) website - eBenefits, or VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending the earlier of the following dates:

1) The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution.

2) 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Kalamazoo Valley ensures that we not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a chapter 31 or chapter 33 beneficiary borrow additional funds to cover the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by VA.

Dependents of those veterans who have serious disabilities as a result of their military service and survivors of veterans whose deaths were service-connected may be eligible for veteran’s benefits to attend college under the act’s Chapter 35. Veterans enrolling under the 1966 federal legislation are required to pay their tuition and fees, and buy their books and supplies.

The VA has regulations requiring all community colleges to establish and monitor standards of progress. These include:

Academic Progress Standards for Credit-Based Programs

  • Students certified to receive educational benefits are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0.
  • They must also satisfactorily complete – with a grade of 1.0 or better – at least 75 percent of the credit hours for which they are enrolled during any enrollment period.

Students who fail to meet these minimum standards will be placed on probation during the next enrollment period for which they are certified to receive educational benefits. Students who fail to meet all standards but demonstrate progress will be given a second probationary semester. To demonstrate progress is to show any improvement in a payment period of academic work as compared to the prior certified payment period. Improvement includes percent of classes completed and/or grade-point average.

Academic Progress Standards for Clock Hour-Based Programs and Academies

All clock hour programs and academies are divided into payment periods. Progress is monitored at the end of each payment period. Students who successfully complete a payment period continue in good standing. Students who fail to successfully complete a payment period are placed on probation during the next enrollment period for which they are certified to receive educational benefits. Students who fail to meet all standards but demonstrate progress will be given a second probationary payment period. To demonstrate progress is to show any improvement in a payment period of academic work as compared to the prior certified semester. Improvement is determined by instructor evaluation.

Students who show no progress after their first semester of probation or who do not meet all standards upon completion of their second semester of probation will not be certified to receive benefits for subsequent enrollment periods. These students may reapply for certification when they have met the minimum standards for at least one full enrollment period prior to the period for which they are applying.

Veterans should know that unsatisfactory progress will be reported to the VA. “Standards of Progress” will include all classes and all grades – including 0.0 – to evaluate progress. Recipients of veteran’s benefits will be notified by mail when they are not in compliance with the standards. Veterans and nonveterans who are receiving benefits while attending Kalamazoo Valley are required to immediately notify the college’s Financial Aid Office if they withdraw, drop, or cancel any classes. This notification should be made in writing within one week of the first day of attendance for each class.

The Financial Aid Office is available to answer any questions regarding VA benefits. Application for these benefits should be made well in advance of registering for classes at Kalamazoo Valley. Applications are available in Room 9210 on the Texas Township Campus, 269.488.4340, or apply online at


The Financial Aid Office at Kalamazoo Valley processes numerous scholarships each year. Funding for scholarships is provided by Federal, State, Institution, private sources, and the Kalamazoo Valley Community College Foundation.

Student Loans

Student loans are one of four types of financial aid. Student loans are borrowed money that must be repaid, with interest. When used properly, student loans can be a good resource to assist with college costs.

Before considering a student loan, you should exhaust all other financial aid types, such as grants, scholarships and work-study. To determine eligibility for these programs you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA can be completed online at at no cost to the applicant. If you choose to borrow, we recommend exhausting federal loan eligibility prior to alternative loans.

Federal Student Loans

Other Loan Options

Loan Information

Credit Balance/Refunds

Credit balance/refunds are run weekly and are available on Fridays beginning the fourth week of the semester. A credit balance/refund will be available if you have financial aid funds remaining after your tuition, fees, and book and supply authorization have been deducted. Financial aid refunds are issued after financial aid eligibility has been reviewed and your instructors have verified that you have met their class attendance standards. Changes in enrollment status due to dropping classes, withdrawing after the refund period or not meeting class attendance standards, may result in refund delays or a reduction in your financial aid, which may result in you repaying financial aid and/or tuition or book costs.